- Whole Class Instruction (Character Education, Bullying Prevention, Drug/Alcohol Awareness, Strangers, My Body is My Own, Responsibility)
- Small Group Counseling (divorce, grief, social skills, anxiety and stress, and study skills)
Please note school counselors do not provide “therapy” or “traditional counseling”. Referrals for outside counseling services are available for children experiencing grief, divorce, family separation, or mental health concerns.
- Brief Solution Focused Counseling
- Parent Consultations
- Community Resource Referrals
Backpack Buddy Program
We at Van Buren Elementary value the whole child and their needs. We are very fortunate to provide the Backpack Buddy Program to our students.
Please call Mrs. Ware or Mrs. Ward for questions and/or referral information at 962-6511.
- Supplemental food provides healthy minds and bodies.
- Children who rely on free or reduced lunches at school are often hungry on the weekends.
- Our Backpack Buddy Program discreetly provides child friendly, nonperishable, nutritious food for children in need in our school. Backpacks filled with food are sent home on Friday and collected on Monday to be refilled.
Whole Class Instruction
We will have whole class counseling sessions where we will emphasize great character and what this looks like in each of us. We will focus on The Six Pillars of Character Education, which are:
Other units covered throughout the year are:
Small Group Counseling
Students are invited to participate in small group counseling sessions. Children who share a common concern meet together with the counselor to talk and to share activities. If your child will benefit from these groups, please contact me. At times during the year your child may come home with a letter requesting participation in a group. The following groups may be available during our school year:
- Conflict Resolution
- Gun Safety
- Drug Awareness
- My Body is My Own - Good Touch / Bad Touch
- Emergency 911
- Interpersonal Skills
- Social Skills
- Responsibility / Behavior
- Other groups as needed